Introducing the Pluriversal Design SIG
We’re thrilled to announce a new DRS Special Interest Group (SIG) — Pluriversal Design (PluriSIG). The group promotes radical, liberatory, intercultural and pluralistic conversations about design. PluriSIG is convened by Lesley-Ann Noel and Renata M. Leitao, and includes organising committee members Tanveer Ahmed, Xaviera Sanchez de la Barquera Estrada and Nicholas Baroncelli Torretta.
Read more about this group and their mission on the PluriSIG page, and contact the convenors to get involved!
The group has already initiated a discussion on the meaning of Pluriversal Design. Noel and Leitao have also announced upcoming projects for the group:
- PluriSIG Book Club
- Weekly group readings of relevance to the SIG, followed by discussions on the SIG discussion page. The first book is Design for the Pluriverse by Arturo Escobar. Other authors on the reading list include Mario Blaser, Isabelle Stengers and Boaventura de Souza Santos.
- Decolonizing Design Reference Lists
- This project will co-create design reference lists including authors from a variety of cultures and countries.
- Pluriversal Design Resource Library
- This project aims to collect and share resources that promote pluriversality, such as anti-oppression tool-kits, guidelines for community engagement, anti-design saviorism toolkits etc.
- Discussions and Interviews
- Vimeo channel with curated interviews about design practices, epistemologies and design research methods that challenge concepts of modernity and development, and highlight the work of design researchers from outside Europe and North America.