21 or 22 April 2018 - Call for Participation: CHI'18 Workshop
Experience Design meets Service Design Method Clash or Marriage?
Service design increasingly involves the integration of physical and
digital service offerings. At the same time, user experience design
increasingly involves the design of digital services via a more holistic
view to the customer journey. The scope overlap between these two design
practices is growing; however, the goals, methods, and underlying
concerns remain quite different.
This workshop investigates the growing overlap between service and user
experience design and charts a course for more effective integration
between these two ways of designing. The workshop has four objectives:
1. Discuss the similarities and differences between these two design
2. Share successes and failures when blending service and experience
3. Identify key issues that the service design and experience design
research communities must address.
4. Form connections with a global group of designers and design
researchers working at the intersection of these two practices.
Workshop website: blogs.aalto.fi/xdsd
Deadline for papers: February 2, 2018
Notification of acceptance: February 22, 2018
Final version of papers: March 10, 2018
Workshop: April 21 or 22, 2018 in Montreal, Canada
APPLY to PARTICIPATE with a POSITION PAPER
We invite design practitioners and researchers from industry and the
academe to submit short workshop papers discussing their experiences and
concerns around the overlap between service design and user experience
design. Papers could address any of the following topics.
- Opportunities and challenges for bringing these two fields closer
- Case studies with lessons learned from designing in the intersection
of UX and Service design
- Approaches for designing and evaluating experiences along a service
journey and service network
- Ideology, methodology, and terminology challenges
- Analysis of earlier research in this area
Papers must be 6 pages or shorter and follow the workshop paper format
submit your paper through EasyChair
<https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=xdsd2018>system by February 2,
2018. Based on the submitted papers, we will select a diverse set of
participants to join us and share their ideas and experiences. If your
paper is selected, at least one author must attend the workshop and at
least one day of the ACM CHI Conference.