Members of the Design Research Society may apply to be elected to the Society’s membership grade of Fellow of the DRS (FDRS).
Fellowship of the DRS has significant benefits including:
- Conferment acknowledges an established record of achievement in design research.
- Personal use of the suffix FDRS in recognition of being a Fellow of the Society.
- Attainment provides peer recognition as a researcher of professional standing and competence.
- Member of a network of leading international design researchers at the cutting edge of their subjects.
- Additionally, Fellows are entitled to all the regular benefits of membership, including communications about research activities worldwide, reduced subscription to a range of research journals including Design Studies of up to 50%, and discounts on most DRS sponsored events including major conferences and symposia.
Fellow membership subscription is £60.00 per annum.
You may apply to become a Fellow of the Society at any time during the year.
Who can be elected?
Applicants must be current subscribed and paid-up Member of the Design Research Society.
The purpose of the Fellow membership grade is not to reward only the most exceptional people, but to provide an acknowledgment of consistent professional contribution to design research.
What are the criteria?
You will need to demonstrate you have:
- A research qualification (normally a PhD or Masters degree by research);
- At least seven years experience of working at postgraduate level in research related to design, or research-based design practice;
- A significant record of achievement in design research, as evidenced, for example by publications of international standard, and/or conducting successful research projects, and/or successful education of postgraduate research students.
What evidence is needed?
Applications must be supported by the following evidence:
- Presentation of a case for election (maximum 1000 words) according to the criteria
- A list of five outputs or achievements indicating a significant record
- A summary curriculum vitae (using the pro-forma provided)
You must also nominate two referees of standing in the field.
How do you apply?
First log in to the DRS website.
Ensure that you are already a paid-up Member of the Design Research Society